Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentines Day Statistics, Facts and a new Blog

Taken in Hong Kong
How was your day/date yesterday? Might it be Valentine's Day or Singleness awareness day for you, I'm sure that yesterday had a certain impact towards you. For us, I made a reservation at around 8pm, Tomas Morato area and the traffic in that area was just terrible! Whether a couple or not, this definitely caused stress to everyone living near this area or any other areas with restaurants. It's seldom that I experience that kind of traffic around Tomas Morato area and I literally have to drive and squeeze my way in and out, in between cars, just to get to my destination. Surprisingly, the restaurant I went to was not that cramped.

This morning, my Facebook timeline was flooded with Valentine-related cheesiness! There were also some bitter posts but the ratio was 5:1. I must admit that even though my Fiance and I were part of the not-too-vocal Facebook crowd, we did celebrate Valentines day with a dinner.


Here are some interesting facts and statistics about Valentines:
*85% of all Valentine cards are brought by women. - True. Guys do give cards on Valentines day but in general, far more lots of girls buy cards to give to guys. This is not the most popular greeting card though. It's only the second most popular greeting card-giving occasion, after Christmas. Teachers get the most Valentine's day cards.

*73% of flowers are brought by men and only 27% are by women. - Unsure about the latter data. Taking into consideration that the Philippines, being a conservative country, I can safely say that 95% are brought by men and only 5% by women. According to Huffingtonpost's Bizarre facts about Valentines, there will be more or less 190 million roses sold! I'm guessing that the said data is for US only. Survey also indicated that 15% of women send themselves flowers.

*In the US, the average US consumer spend around $126 on Valentines Day gifts, meals and entertainment. That's around Php 5,500 pesos! That's a lot if you consider the mean average salaries Filipinos get, factoring in all the deductions.

*Chocolates and Flowers are the most given gifts on Valentine's Day! -Better make it right because statistics indicate that 53% of women dump their boyfriends if they don't get a Valentine's Day gift/ date. It's not unusual that some couples breakup on that day. On the other hand, since it's a super romantic day, about 10% of American couples get engaged that day! It's hitting two birds with one stone! While most women would want to be wed on June, women occasionally choose Valentine's day because of the romantic traditions associated with it.

Relationships in general are not that easy to take care of. You need to nurture it and you must encourage each other to grow. Men and women have differences. A lot that sometimes, if not understood too well, causes misunderstandings and eventually end up in seperation. My cousin recommended a good book about the differences to understand the differences of both men and women. For starters, try reading "Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus" by John Gray, Phd.

Although I'm not claiming to be a relationship expert, it inspired me to create a new blog. My Fiance and I will initially be the contributors to that new blog. It's under the design stage and we'll let you know once it's up. For now, we'll just disclose the URL -- The future home of "The His and Her Blog". Other than relationship-related articles, I'll be the one featuring stuff men like and she'll be the one writing about stuff that interest women. We'll also feature articles that couples might eventually need or encounter -- wedding, choosing the right furniture, dealing with customs and traditions etc. One at a time. There's a lot to write about. See you there soon!

http://www.TheHisHerBlog.com/

Cheftonio
PS. Liked the post? Subscribe to my blog by typing in your email below. You'll get my posts in your inbox via email.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner



-->

1 comments:

Jan said...

Too bad I don't have someone to date. :( Well hopefully for the next valentines, I can find the perfect one. :D